Women & Gender-Expansive People at Rosie’s
- 70% are caregivers.
- 82% have a mental illness.
- 40% of women are less likely than men to be re-arrested within a year.
- 89% are waiting for their day in court and have not been convicted of a crime.
- Up to 93% diverted from Rikers have experienced domestic and/or sexual violence.
The city’s plan replaces Rosie’s with a facility in Kew Gardens, Queens.
- Manhattan is where the greatest number of those at Rosie’s are charged. Families located there would face long commutes & multiple public transportation transfers to visit loved ones in Kew Gardens.
- Rosie’s was ranked as the 12th worst jail in the nation for sexual assault. The Queens facility is connected to the men’s building and lacks dedicated gender-responsive and trauma-informed staff for women.
This is the #BEYONDrosies citywide petition.
Please sign if you support closing the Rose M. Singer Center at Rikers Island.